|FREELANCE INTERPRETER AND TRANSLATOR (Italian > English)
Kathleen M. Yasuda (M.P.P.)
Los Angeles, California, USA
Phone: (310) 780 -7970 Fax: (310) 427- 7156
• Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government 1986 – 1988
• Masters in Public Policy, specialization in Human Services, Education and Labor
• Justice Stephen K. Tamura Scholarship Award
• University of California, Irvine 1980 – 1985
• B. S. in Biological Sciences, cum laude, 1985
• Order of Merit, School of Social Sciences, 1985
• Languages: English- native speaker, Italian – fluent
INTERPRETING, TRANSLATING, EDITING, AND PROOFREADING 1991 - present
• Currently translating and interpreting together with my partner Alberto Cioni for clients of the Los Angeles Italian Consulate and the Italian Institute of Culture.
• Subject areas include: general medical, general business, general legal, vital record documents (birth, marriage, death, will and divorce certificates), product descriptions, tour and travel brochures (itineraries, hotel descriptions, tour policy) movie scripts and adaptations, interviews, fashion articles, sciences in general, biology, chemistry, renewable energy, ecology, psychology, sociology, art and literature.
INSTRUCTOR, LA Trade Tech College 2003 - present
• Teach courses in organizing at the Labor Studies Center.
• Assist the Director of the Labor Studies Center with administrative duties.
CONSULTANT, LA College Guild, AFT 1521 2003
• Coordinated the Budget Fight Back Campaign for the 9 Los Angeles Community Colleges.
CONSULTANT, UCLA Labor Center, Los Angeles 2000 – 2002
• Designed and coordinated the California Union Leadership School.
• Performed the technical edit and coordinated publication of Voices for Justice, by Wong.
NATIONAL ORGANIZING DIRECTOR
Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance, 1997 – 2000
Washington DC and Los Angeles.
• Directed the APALA Organizing Institute and various seminars on leadership development
• Consult for unions organizing or researching Asian and Pacific Islander workers.
• Liaison to the AFL-CIO, international and local unions, and the Asian community throughout the U.S.
• Responsible for press and events of organization in the Western Region.
EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE: .
• IBM compatible, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, 24-hour fax, worldwide videoconference.
• Four different specialized Italian-English dictionaries (Hazon Garzanti general, Garzanti business, Zanichelli medicine & biology, Hoepli technical), several glossaries and access to several terminology databanks.
• English & Italian spell-checking software.
• Timescale: approximately 2500 - 3000 words per day, subject to existing workload.